Monday, October 1, 2012

Reaching and Rising to New Heights

A Letter to the Editor and Call to Action: TRUTH Magazine
by Uriah Bell

Everywhere I go, in most any encounter, most every interview, people ask why I started TRUTH. And, in each instance, I give the same answer – because I don’t see my entire face on any publication, independent or otherwise. I don’t see Black, brown, yellow, gay, educated, influential without popularity. I don’t see men and women of color celebrated for more than their physique and sexuality. These are all the reasons I started TRUTH Magazine; but there’s one more, and if I’m to stand in my entire TRUTH, I must come clean about my other reason.
The other reason, albeit not the main reason I started this publication, is because I became very ill in 2002 due to complications with HIV. I had officially hit the lowest point in my life, and for a moment, I had given up. Instantly, I said goodbye to my passions, my dreams and my aspirations. The battle seemed useless and too much to endure, but then, something happened. I realized there was so much more to do, places to see, things to experience, differences to make – so much life to live. And I realized, beyond the pain in the eyes of my mother, sister and grandmother, I had been given something many people cannot claim – I’d been given a second chance.
People who have heard me speak, or who have conversed with me one-on-one have heard me say that HIV was a blessing. I stand by that. When you think you have life in your hands and then feel it disintegrate, only to watch it form into something greater, you no longer understand limits.
“People who have heard me speak, or who have conversed with me one-on-one, have heard me say that HIV was a blessing. I stand by that.”
Today is September 27, 2012, National Gay Men’s HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, and this can be considered my call to action. Furthermore, this can be considered my testimony to hold on to your life and your purpose, to understand your rights, your responsibility, and continue to educate yourselves and each other. I’m not at all afraid, nor ashamed of my status. In fact, I’m convinced it’s both part of my purpose and the reason I’m still here. Sure, I went through all the normal and expected stages – denial, regret, disappointment, fear – but never anger. I’ve been blessed to have an amazing support system, I have a great relationship with my physicians, and I know and understand my rights around health care – something that’s recently become easier thanks to President Obama.
I want each of you; gay, lesbian, straight, trans, Black, white, Latino/a, Asian, Caribbean, Middle Eastern, young, old, in denial, positive, negative, out, and all that’s in between to find and be a support system. Learn what’s going on in your towns, cities and states. Learn legislature, community based organizations, AIDS service organizations, medical advancements, volunteer opportunities, etc. Today is just one day, but your presence could make it life-changing for someone. October 15 is National Latino AIDS Awareness Day, and December 1st is World AIDS Day, but there’s more than 300 days remaining in every year, and we can be neither silent nor still on those days.
So now you know the full reason I started TRUTH. Yes, it is and will always be for you, the community, but selfishly, it is also for me. I’d be ignoring my calling and the blessing of a second chance if I didn’t do something purposeful. Recognize your purpose, and flaunt it. As a Black man, I stand by the mantra of the Black AIDS Institute that HIV is affecting our people – it’s become our problem, we are the solution.
Be well. Be purposeful. Be deliberate. Be the change.
Uriah

Latino AIDS Commission Focus Groups in Arkansas

The Latino AIDS Commission of New York City collaborated with local community based organization, The Living Affected Corporation (www.livingaffected.blogspot.com) as well as with additional area groups in a capacity building effort utilizing focus groups. The exercises surveyed the use of social media among Black MSM statewide during a series of focus groups held September 25- 26, in Fayetteville, Little Rock, and West Memphis. Under the direction of Willie Rhodes, LGBTQ Outreach Coordinator, Arkansas Department of Health and facilitated by Lina Cherfas and Aunsha Hall, the organization sought to assist Rhodes in his work in marginalized communities throughout the state.

The focus groups were used as a further community discovery process as a conduit to disseminating future HIV/ AIDS risk reduction messages and themes that could be considered for usage from a social media platform. "We felt that it was a timely collaboration since Hispanic Heritage Month was recognized September 15 and Latino Awareness Day, October 15," said organization CEO, Diedra Levi. She continued, " its vital that we continue to outreach into our states changing demographics and the shifting needs of health disparities within them." A full report will be compiled and possibly presented before the Arkansas Planning Group later this year. The Living Affected organization is planning to update its website and move forward with additional social media campaigns as apart of its mixed media initiative.

For more information contact: willie.rhodes@arkansas.gov or info@lacorponline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment